As the leader of a technology department, I oversee software development (DevOps), application support, help desk, network infrastructure, system and server administration, and cyber security. I thrive on managing and leading technical and creative thinkers, and I’m proud to say that I’ve learned a lot from my team, just as they’ve learned from me. Our mission is to “Make The Complex Seem Simple,” and I’m constantly striving to find new ways to simplify and streamline our work.
Teaching has always been one of my passions, and I’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to teach at the college level for more than 15 years. I cover a broad range of subjects, including Digital Information Design, Computer Science, Network Security, and even some C# and SQL from time to time. My favorite courses are those that encourage creative thinking and developing leadership skills.
In my free time, I host a popular podcast called “A Geek Leader” and enjoy building iPhone and Android apps. I’m also a sought-after public speaker, and I gave a TEDx Talk on Motivating Creatives at TEDx Hickory. Whether I’m podcasting, coding, or speaking, I’m always seeking new ways to inspire and motivate others to achieve their goals.
VP of Technology – INSP
9/2016 – 12/2020 – Director of IT
1/2021 – Present – VP of Technology
At INSP, LLC, I oversee the Technology team, which manages various critical areas such as Software Engineering (DevOps), Infrastructure, Networking, Cyber Security, Application Support, and Helpdesk. Our responsibilities include managing multiple on-premise SANs, VMware, and Cloud (AWS/Azure) environments.
During my tenure, I have implemented agile project management methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban, facilitating seamless migration of numerous applications to a multi-cloud tenant. I have also completed a Digital Transformation Initiative, which involved introducing data and metadata standards and governance for our media operations. Additionally, I have spearheaded the creation of our Disaster Recovery plan and Cyber Security Policies, ensuring we are prepared for any potential disruptions. I am proud to have successfully led the technology component of a $500M acquisition of 12 Broadcast Markets, encompassing over 40 broadcast stations throughout the US in 2022.
Other highlights include:
- Serves as Program Director for company-wide Digital Transformation Initiative.
- Serves as Chair of Application Software Steering Committee.
- Implemented DevOps Methodology and Agile Project Management to the Information Technology Department and our Software Development Team.
- Implemented new Service Desk.
- Migrated On-Premise workloads to Multi-tenant Cloud with Azure and AWS
- Architected the move from traditional infrastructure to Multi-tenant Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure.
- Upgrading SharePoint and MS Dynamics.
- Implementing a new Disaster Recovery Procedure using offsite Datacenters/Cloud.
- Reduced helpdesk ticket counts and improved resolution speed and quality.
- Reduce technical operational budget by 10% in first full year of leadership.
- Created new positions for Desktop Support Manager, Cyber Security Engineer, Systems Engineer, and IT Voice Engineer.
- Created a culture of learning and developed a true team atmosphere.
- Improved customer service and created an environment where the business sees IT as part of a team and not a cost center.
- Employee of the Month July 2020.
- Promoted to VP of Information Technology in 1/2021.
Comporium CommunicationsManager of Web and Mobile Development
12/2009 – 9/2016
I turned my workgroup around from having the highest turnover rate in IT with more than 60% of the full-time positions being either open or filled with contractors to having the same staff with no turnover for more than 3 years. During this time, we have implemented dozens of innovative products and solutions on time and under budget. These projects include having the first mobile controlled fountain jets in the world (Fountain Park), mobile ticket and payment solution for our customers, ZipStream Website (gigabit internet to the home), online ordering and self-service account management, mobile trouble ticket and order installation solution for our technicians, mobile dispatch solution, new GIS solution for engineers, and several internal mobile and web-based workflow applications.
Other highlights include:
- Served as a Lean Six Sigma advocate and Green Belt on multiple projects
- Managed a team of both full time and contract software developers and analysts
- Managed large complex projects with 6 and 7 figure budgets
- Led innovative and creative projects that lead to self-service, mobile applications, and many marketing and business cost saving solutions
- Advised CIO and Senior Management on best practices for IT Systems, Security and Services
- Maintained responsibility for the following applications:
- All Corporate Websites
- Online Bill Pay Solution
- My Account Portal
- Enterprise ticketing system
- GIS mapping applications
- All public facing web applications
- Internal .NET workflows
- All mobile applications
- A several php
- All WordPress solutions
- Led change by successfully implementing agile project management methodologies in a waterfall company and industry
- Led the team to show 20-30% increases in electronic and online payments and purchases year after year for the past 4 years. This growth is in spite of a declining market for telephone and digital video
- Regularly served as a Comporium advocate speaking at many local and regional events
IT Systems Engineer IV
6/2009 – 12/2009
IT Systems Engineer III
10/2008 – 6/2009
Linux Systems Engineer
5/2007 – 10/2008
I was hired after selling my startup to migrate and bring DNS and email management for our ISP customers in house (previously outsourced). In 6 months, we were able to migrate DNS and email for over 100,000 mailboxes in house, which included standing up a new network and all systems necessary to support it. This also included building a web-hosting environment for those customers. After the completion of this project and some other smaller successes, I was promoted and moved to manage Windows systems as well as Linux systems, including SharePoint, MS SQL Servers, MySQL Servers and much more.
Other highlights include:
- Served as project manager for several enterprise initiative projects, such as our customer portal and SSO (SharePoint migration from Lotus)
- Developed documentation for various IT solutions and projects
- Supported, managed, and maintained all corporate web applications, sites, and software
- Managed Portal Development projects using JSR 168 standards and Java portlet development
- Oversaw .NET and SharePoint Development
- Developed LAMP applications for email and customer support
- Managed special projects including data and system conversions for GIS and SharePoint
- Mentored other developers and engineers
Professional Education Experience
Computer Science Professor – Winthrop University
In Fall of 2020 I was awarded Adjunct Professor of the Year. I developed the course materials for an information design course titled “The Business of the Web.” This course teaches management and leadership principles along with marketing, finance, accounting and information design that all entrepreneurs and small business employees need to know in order to be successful. I teach this and other Digital Information and Computer Science courses for the College of Business.
Information Technology Professor – York Technical College
While at York Tech, I developed the IT Security certificate program from the ground up, including writing curriculum and teaching the courses. I have created and taught more than 20 different courses while at York Technical College. I still teach software development and network security courses at York Tech on the side as an adjunct professor.